Friday, September 18, 2009

Crocs are lame...



Hello Burrus Fans!!

I have been instructed by the beautiful KT to be her FIRST Friday Guest Blogger (Unnecessary Capital letters Fully intended, get over it). I work with Katie, and I used to be her personal Blog Admin before she left me for a company that may actually pay attention to her needs (which I kind of doubt).

I wanted her to give me topics, and I was told to write about something that irritates me, so here it is.



Crocs.

Especially Crocs in inappropriate outfits.

I was walking through the mall today and saw a tall man who was from some tech company (looked like someone from Samsung or LG, you do the math). He was very clean-cut: recently trimmed hair, nice glasses, a sports coat, matching slacks; typical corporate look. Until my eyes reached his shoes. Bright orange Crocs!!!! I started laughing, and not before he got out of ear shot. I mean, are you fucking kidding me!!!! Are you going romping in the San Diego River after this? Just going to your last meeting for the day, and then straight to the water front?

Moving on from the inappropriate combinations, let us discuss the overall practicality of the shoe design itself. Although I rarely see people wearing these in the water, lets pretend for a moment that they are indeed often used for their "intended" purpose (uncessary quations intentional as well. Please see this blog). I think another photo is in order:
Let us first observe the heel. What the fuck is up with the strap? Couldn't they just bring the backing all the way up so the shoe doesn't slip off when you are frolicking in the ocean? The tread looks decent, so I won't invent any hate on that; but what about the little texturing inside? It reminds me of those old Adidas sandals we used to pretend were cool. The ones with the little plastic acupressure thingys where your feet go. You remember them. You remember the blisters they caused, and the fact that you ended up wearing socks with them (which is a completely separate blog entry: Socks and Sandals: A Pandemic). It seems like this texture was added to keep the damn things on your feet, which could easily have been resolved by rethinking that heel strap.

And how about these puppies?


Really? Water shoes with synthetic fur? Am I the only one that is having trouble understanding the point here? These ones look like they would fall off even faster! And if my feet are cold, why would I want holes in my shoes? I am offended by these shoes, and I am not easily offended.

For further research, please see the following sites:
I Hate Crocs
George Bush Loves Crocs
The Danger of Crocs (I've seen a few of these BTW)
Crocs: They look like shit, and they make your feet smell (spend some time on this site, this guy is full of hate, in a good way...)
And in a halfassed attempt to be unbiased go here

And I'm spent!

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I can definately see why you two are friends!!!!
    I just laughed my ass off...(figuratively, not litterally, but I wish!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encore!

    That was awesome.
    Not only do i share your feelings to begin with, but i'm even more convinced than every that these feelings are legit.

    It was a comprehensive meditation on the subject matter. WEll researched.
    I think you should consider the piece on the socks and sandals pandemic.

    I love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first reaction was ...What are Crocs? Understandable since I am generationally challanged. Thanks for the enlightenment. These horrid eyesoars are meant entirely for another demographic. I'm damn near 65 years old. No image would be more graphically sickening then the that which was described by the guest author other then the thought of an old man with knarly toe nails shuffling around the mall in a pair knee highs and some purple Crock thingys. Bye bye chic magnet!

    ReplyDelete